Why we should date

Today in the Chronicle, Duke's daily newspaper, I read a column by Sony Rao called "Why we should date." She's a senior at Duke and pretty much asserts that you should get practice dating because your first few might be icky, but getting through those will get you to the good one(s). She talks about how Duke's hook up culture sucks (it does) and how starting dating as a senior isn't a terrible thing because 1) you never know who you might hit it off with and 2) it's good practice for the future if it doesn't work out. One of the lines directly from her that made me laugh out loud literally was
"And I'm not quite sure yet, but it's probably a bad idea to learn the basics of dating when you're 28 and your mother gives you a three-month ultimatum before she looks for your future husband in India."
Before coming to Duke, there were two conflicting ideas that I had in my mind. One was that I really didn't want to be single anymore. The other was that I wanted to wait to date until I found the perfect guy. Now, we know I'm a decently logical person and I don't believe there's that "one perfect person" for everyone. You can click with a lot of people, but timing and interest and effort are important too. Once I came here, my thoughts on this stuff kind of changed. I'm not as idealistic anymore, not to say I'm not idealistic still. But I'm not going to wait around and reject everything that comes around because one little thing might not feel right. I do believe practice dating probably helps in the long run. Honestly, when I first started thinking all that, I just felt like a terrible person for having changed my views, but I'm starting to accept the idea as something that belongs to me. I know my limits. I know what I can handle. I'm never hooking up with anyone, so that's all good. I agree with Sony to some extent. There's also that emotional aspect you gotta take into account. I don't want to wait till I'm 28 though.

UGA in three days. Leggo Duke Dhooooom.

I have so much shit to do.

Orgo is the bane of my existence.

I can't believe spring break is in two and a half weeks. Gah.

Peace out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Party and More

See You Again

Some words on team-based learning