Arts&Crafts

              Like I said in the last post, I've been crafting and drawing a lot lately and I've shared some of my creations on facebook but I thought I'd show them all and ask for any other cool ideas too. It's been fun and made me feel creative even though that's "been systematically chipped apart by years of studying inorganic chemistry and charting lipids." (A quote from Ann Patchett's State of Wonder, Duke's summer reading book. Except the charting lipids part.) I used to draw all the time back in the 9th grade but it's recently all come back now that I actually have time to do stuff. What I hate is that I can't drive to go get supplies because I lack a license and so I have to use what I have at home which makes everything super ghetto.. But anyway, here's a couple of art projects I've been working on. The picture at the top of this blog is actually one of them, inspired by: http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2011/08/song-lyric-wall-art-diy-project.html.

           There's these adorable polaroid magnets I made to take to college inspired by: http://www.ambrosiagirl.com/blog/tiny-polaroid-magnets/ They're really cute plus good for holding things up on a whiteboard!




            Below are my gradient nails which took a reeeallly long time but came out pretty nicely for my first time regardless. Inspired by: http://www.thenailasaurus.com/2012/04/gradient-nails-picture-tutorial.html. This website has ridiculously awesome nail designs if you ever want to try them out! I was pretty happy with how this turned out and once I get some nail stamps and thin brushes, I'm going to try her other designs!


    
         Now my corner heart bookmark which is inspired by: http://craftandcreativity.com/blog/2011/10/22/dagens-pyssel-bokmarken-craft-of-the-day-bookmarks/. Not done that well, but it's cute. I'm using it for State of Wonder right now, Duke's summer reading book. It's a good read if you're ever looking for something relaxed and introspective ish.




             And lastly a few of my drawings which I did over the course of the last few months, during my Disney obsession after our senior trip, for my friend who asked me to draw her Esmeralda, and because I love the Hunger Games.



           So those are all my arts and crafts for now, but I will continue to make and share stuff with anyone who reads this which may very well be just me... But that's okay! It'll be good to look back on, like a journal. If anyone is reading this, hit me up with some more craft or drawing ideas I should do or even that you'd like me to make you! If I can make it and/or get it to you, I will do my very best!

            In other news, my room is a hot mess right now. No, not in the urban dictionary sort of way. Literally. It's the hottest room in the house because it gets the most sun and the least air conditioning and it's super messy because I'm packing for both moving away and going to college. 


            Everyone's been telling me that they're super nervous for college but I find myself really excited. The people I've been talking to on Facebook are ridiculously cool and even the professors that are on the Duke 2016 page are awesome. I finally am starting to understand what people mean when they say that you don't need to really know what you want to do until you go to college. I always thought that I wanted to go into science because it's something I'm good at and enjoy, and my prospective major right now is neuroscience with a pre-med track. It seemed totally right about a month ago, but after I've looked through all the classes Duke offers and chosen mine, I realized that there's so many more fields I have never even considered that I might be interested in. For example, I'm legitimately considering a major or minor in film and theater studies. Woah! Where the hell did that come from! Probably from watching all those movies and youtube stars this summer and wishing I was in them or that I knew the people in them. Maybe it's a really stupid reason to start considering a major but it's still a reason to consider, right?


             I used to be worried about what I was going to do with my life and whether I'd be miserable and/or successful doing what my parents wanted me to do (become a doctor) or doing what I thought I wanted to do. I'm a lot more relaxed now knowing that 1) Duke gives us 5 bazillion advisors to help us with all our decisions and 2) I can take classes in anything and everything to find what works. Maybe I'll get lucky and neuroscience will be right, but I really would like to be on youtube or in movies. I don't know. It's probably really too early to say so I just want to make sure I take advantage of all the opportunities given to me. And that's what Fearless is all about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Party and More

See You Again

Some words on team-based learning